Leadership isn’t something that only matters within the four walls of an office. Leadership, of course, can help someone recognition in business by being innovative or reliable. But leadership isn’t just for executives or managers. Leadership can extend to every level of life – leadership in family, leadership on a group project for a class or for an ambitious thesis project, or leadership in a lower-level job.
Every group, organization and institution relies on a leader to take employees or volunteers to new levels. Without leaders, every private concern, corporation, business, governmental entity and entrepreneurship would fail, as successful leaders, by many standards, delegate responsibilities and create an atmosphere where everyone can thrive. The following top 50 up-and-coming leadership blogs, created since January 2009, reflect that notion through leaders who blog, companies that train leaders and communities that maintain blogs to help promote growth.
Leadership research is a hot field. The results are used to improve educational institutions and businesses. But, many people are still pretty much in the dark about how leadership research works, its primary purpose, history and how results are used. Here are 21 facts you may not know about leadership research.
- Leadership research has its roots in tests that filtered out the character traits of leaders as compared to the character traits of followers. Learning what traits natural leaders possessed helped to cement the foundation of further research.
- These first analyses took place between 1900 and 1950.
- The original research determined that there was no single trait or combination of traits explained the leaders’ abilities.
- Many studies have been conducted that examined how situations affected the abilities of leaders.
- Leadership studies of the 1970s and 80s focused on the individual characteristics of leaders who had significant impact on their organizations.
- Research from the 1970s and 80s determined that while leaders are an essential component of organizations, they are also one of the most complex components.
- Certain traits were examined in leaders. These included: intelligence, birth order, socioeconomic status, and child rearing practices.
- In 1974, Stodgill, one of the pioneers of leadership research, determined six categories of personal factors associated with leadership: capacity, achievement, responsibility, participation, status and situation. But, even with this discovery, researchers warned that the information was too narrow, saying that no person becomes a leader simply by possessing a certain list of character traits.
- The impact of situations on the development of leaders was important during 1970s and 1980s studies, as well. Research determined that the requirements of the setting played an important role in the development of leaders. In other words, to really become a good leader, one must be put in the position of having to step up to the plate.
- Many people are capable of being a follower or a leader depending upon the situation they’re put in.
- Research has determined that effective leaders are those who are able to address two different kinds of needs within their organizations: efficiency needs and human needs. Good leaders are effective at both planning and implementation tasks and at working with the people in their organizations.
- Research by Barnes and Krieger in 1986 determined that previous leadership research was insufficient because it relied on models of one leader/many followers.
- According Barnes and Krieger, leadership is more of a reflection of an organization, rather than a person. In other words, in the most successful organizations, leaders’ roles overlap, and different people take on leadership roles at different times.
- Barnes and Krieger’s research also focused on teams, rather than individuals as leaders.
- Later research began to focus on the trait of vision as an important one for leaders.
- Later research also focused on the differences between leaders and managers. The saying was formed that managers are people who do things right, and leaders are people who do the right thing.
- This research on the leader as compared to the manager helped us to understand that someone who is a good manager will see that the work gets done. Someone who is a good leader will ensure that the work we are doing is what it needs to be. The best executives have both the traits of a manager and of a leader.
- Some of the most recent findings on leadership have placed a great deal of emphasis on the fact that good leaders value the human resources at their disposal more highly than less effective leaders.
- Transformational leadership is one of the hot terms in leadership research. It is defined as a process by which leaders and followers raise one another to higher levels of morality and motivation.
- Some of the most recent findings on leadership suggest that today’s leaders are more focused on being prepared to handle worst case scenarios. For example, the Journal of Management Development suggested in a recent article, that today’s leader would never have drilled a deep water oil well in the Gulf of Mexico until they were sure the technology existed to contain it.
- The Journal of Leadership Studies recently concluded that the more a company focuses on internal leadership growth, the better its sales, profits and profit margins.
Today, there is a lot of leadership research going on, but it’s difficult to tell how much business organizations really follow the research or use its findings to better their companies.
Twitter is a great place to keep up with friends, follow news and learn about what’s going on in the world, or just what’s going on with your favorite entertainer. But, it’s also a great place to help you stay motivated. Take a look at these twenty inspirational leaders who are on Twitter.
A team leader or team lead is person who gives guidance, instruction, direction, leadership to a group of individuals for obtaining result in aligned group. A team leader gives report to a project manager. A good team leader happened to caring and motivator for its entire team. Below is provided some excellent tips to become an effective team leader. (more…)
Leadership as on a broader perspective is known as process of social influence in which a person can have aid and support from others for achieving a common task. It is one of the most relevant aspects in organizational context. However, in whole leadership can be defined varyingly as depending upon situation. Below is provided an interesting list for open course wares.
- Governance and Leadership: This courseware is about the Governance and leadership with respect of shaping leadership in the public, voluntary and private sectors and differences for the interaction among the three sectors on public policy issues. The courseware is based upon a numbers of themes and like different types of leadership and the challenges of leadership, the role of sector specific paradigms into leadership in shaping leaders.
- Women of Past and Present: This site is provided with biographies of women that contributed to human civilization in many a number of ways and are from different areas. These women are writer, educator, scientists, and heads of state, politicians, civil rights crusaders, artists, entertainers and others. Some of them were living hundreds of years ago and other is yet alive.
- Feminist Theory: The website provides research materials and information for students having scholarly interest in women conditions and struggle around the globe. The site is developed with objective to encourage and improve over research over feminist theory and to improve over dialogue among man and women from different countries.
- Leadership Tools and Team: In this class you will be creating a leadership development tool for students like yourselves in the leadership program at Sloan. This tool might be a coaching guide for second-year pilots, a leadership workbook for MBA students to use during their summer employment, a leadership assessment for club presidents or a workshop on networking. You will be free to choose the tool that you want to develop, but by the end of the class there must be a product that can be used at Sloan. In addition, the tools must link in some way to the leadership model used at Sloan.
- The Online Journal of Academic Leadership: This Journal of academic leadership is aimed towards academic world that progresses society at large with its impact and sphere. It provides a good collection of articles and essays focusing over major issues related to leadership. The journal is edited by blind review process that is utilized in national and international editorial boards and peer reviews.
- Women in Leadership: This is one of its first online professional journals for women in leadership. The journal publishes manuscripts reporting, synthesizing, reviewing and analyzing scholarly inquiry focusing over women issues. These manuscripts are written by authors from all professional fields on women leadership issue.
- The International Electronic Journal for Leadership: This particular general is for promoting the study and substantive leadership issues of major concern in educational communities. Articles and features here are provided prominently with a focus over significant impact of education in schools. The Journal in its print form is imprinted by University of Calgary Press and is sponsored by Centre for Leadership in Learning and the Faculty of Education at the University of Calgary.
The online Masters in Leadership course integrates several disciplines, all of which have been tailored with desirable concepts and tools all geared towards meeting the rising market demands. Online Masters courses in leadership are widely preferred for their convenience and the fact that they offer learners an array of options all available online for self improvement. Depending on area of specialization, learners can access relevant instructional materials all of which have been designed to promote leadership development. All they need is to browse and search for information that is relevant to their respective areas of specialization.
Some of the leadership courses available on the internet include Masters of Arts in Educational leadership which leaves learners with a wider scope that enables them to cope with the emerging challenges in their respective schools. Masters in Ministerial leadership on the other hand targets the clergy who are able to undertake their seminary classes anywhere in the world. Also those willing to undertake a Masters of Arts degree in leadership can do so with ease. The online program has been designed to allow learners to integrate their goals in their respective disciplines.
The online Masters in leadership course provides graduates with ample skills to deal with conflicts and covers interpersonal communication and research strategies among others. Most online curricula have been designed to take a shorter period and reflect the normal courses in both content and quality. Most people in managerial positions are able to attain both considerable and competitive advantage in their chosen field of study through flexible schedules.
The online masters in leadership course captures the emerging trends in the global market and therefore graduates can compete effectively anywhere in the world. Most curricula have been revised to meet international requirements to attract a larger clientele. This is primarily because the world is increasingly becoming a village through advances in technology and therefore the need to embrace modern techniques in leadership and remain relevant in the global market.
Online Masters in leadership is a technologically advanced program and instructors have been left with a wide range of options which allows them to use multimedia learning aids and link their students with relevant and resourceful websites. However, lack of direct interactions with the instructor can sometimes have far reaching implications on the students whose skills in leadership need to address both practical and theoretical aspects to be able to develop an all rounded person.